Obviously I Have No Idea How To Make Money Online
A couple days ago I was surprised by an email. In the email the person stated that he enjoyed the website – that is understandable. But then the email got strange. He concluded his email with a request for advice. He asked me to advise him on how to generate more revenue and get more traffic to his website.
The guy missed the whole point of this website. With my traffic and revenue stats fully disclosed this website clearly shows that I have no idea what I am doing. Why would anybody want to seek advice from me? It is like somebody showing up at the scene of a car accident and asking the stunned driver, “Can you please teach me how to drive”.
Why You Should Not Ask Me How To Making Money Online
I have mentioned it before, both on the website and in this blog, that I am completely new to making money online. Four months ago I never heard the phrase ‘Search Engine Optimization’, or ‘Meta-Tags’. I had no experience with CSS or Dreamweaver. I had never made a single penny online. I was as green as a freshly mowed lawn. I still am.
I have been at it for four months. I have learned some things. Now I can read about website design techniques and adsense monetization and understand what is being discussed, but I still do not have a clue how to make money online. I thought this fact was obvious. The whole website is a testament to my ignorance. Simply by viewing a few pages on the website you quickly discover that:
- I have worked for 365 hours. For my efforts I received $131 dollars. If I had spent that time working at McDonalds flipping burgers and cleaning out grease traps I would now have around $3300 dollars.
- I make 36 cents per hour. The lowest wages in the world are paid to garment workers in Bangladesh. They get paid 22 cent per hour. The second lowest wages in the world are in Cambodia, they get paid 33 cents. I have the honor of having the third lowest wage in the world at 36 cents. A Pakistani garment worker makes more then I do at 37 cents per hour.
- On average this website receives about 50 visitors a day. This has not changed for almost 3 months. No progress increasing my traffic. Commenting on forums, blogs, creating articles for backlinks. All for nothing. Traffic does not budge – 50 visitors a day.
- So far I have spent $491 on this website. The website software (Dreamweaver), domain name, hosting, voting script. Since I have only managed to make $131 dollars, I am running at a loss. Not only am I not making money online, I am paying money to do it.
- I have been promoting this blog for 3 months and wrote 26 well thought out posts. This has gained me around 25 subscribers. My condominium’s monthly newsletter has more subscribers and all it talks about the problem of people not cleaning up after their dogs.
All this information is clearly stated on the website. Tables and pretty graphs are used to make the point obvious. That is why I was so surprised that somebody would ask me for advice. They seem to not care that this website makes no money. The only person who should be asking me for advice is a Bangladeshi garment worker. I can help him make more money.
There are websites out there that claim they know how to make lots of money online. The webmaster claims that they have discovered the secret of making money online. They claim to be experts, to be rich, to know it all. Of course they do not give any proof of their success except for a few pictures of big houses and fancy cars. These are the websmasters that at least give the impression that they know what they are doing. So I would expect people to send them emails asking for advice. But to send me an email asking for advice is ridiculous. There is nothing on this website that gives the impression that I know how to make money online.
Maybe In The Future I Will Be Able to Give Advice
Am I bitter? No. Do I consider this website a failure? No. Do I spend my nights soaking the pillow with tears? No. I realize this is just the beginning. Making money online is not easy. It is a process that takes time. The beginning is hard and bound to be full of failure. Just like anything else. Even Wayne Gretzky was a bad hockey player at some point. Time, practice and persistence made him a great player. Success comes with the passage of time.
So far the only thing this website teaches is that making money online is not easy at the beginning. That everyday feels like a failure. That progress does not come overnight.
If you have a site and you are still learning and not making money then you can come to this website and see that it is normal. Misery needs company. It makes you feel better that this website is also doing poorly at the beginning.
What keeps me going is knowing that making money online is possible. Other people are doing it. I just need to find out how. Until this websites starts making money then there is no point in asking me for help increasing the revenue for your site because I have no idea.
If you want to know what I have learned so far then visit the How Well Is This Website Doing section of the website.